If you like something of a visual treat then Bargello quilts are such ones. Once to start admiring the craft that goes into making of a Bargello quilt you will always remember to admire this quilt type.
It's simple to make and also like a treasure. Beginners could be in for a surprise when they find that it's simple to make and the results shall make to feel proud too. Even the basic knowledge of operating a rotary cutter lining up with a ruler and general knowledge of using a sewing machine, one-forth seam stitch specifically.
This art of Bargello making is easy and you should try it some time soon. Here's what you need to do-
list of items you need :
* A Standard sewing machine
* Stitching needles - general size 12
* A Rotary cutter
* Spray starch
* Pins- beaded head
* Cutting Mat
* The material for fabrics could be in 7 different shades (plain as well as printed)
* Quilt batting
* Material for binding borders.
* Rotary ruler
Material for binding borders
instruction to make :
1. A single color would not be bad at all as multiple colors can have that overdone effect. Cotton as fabric shall be the best bet. Cloth used for binding purpose should be of contrasting color, as it will lighten up the border looks. Prewash the cloth, dry it up and iron it with starch.
2. Keep all things like pattern and design simple so as to avoid difficulties later on in creating it. A wave pattern shall be easy. Here is what you will have to do for a wave pattern. Also aid from quilting software can be handy.
3. The strips have to cut three and half inches in length of the fabric, from cut the strips 3.5 inches wide of the fabric. Fabric with fold is to be faced towards you and then to be cut 2.5 inches strips of every fabric . Cut the fabric one at a time if you are a beginner.
4. Thereafter sew the fabric strips to join them, use a ¼" seam gap and 15 stitches every inch. That will give you a three inch wide space at the end of the strip. Lay some weight over the fabric, which will settle the seam in order, and thereafter the fabric will remain steady.
5. Now lets cut the strips as well. Place the fabric on some sort mat where it can be cut. Take a gauge of three inches and trim the strip with such measure as to get strips in color blocks. You will find hard to join al the strips so it should be easier to take a proper measure and then cut them precisely as required.
6. Take the strips and put them on a board in a manner where the material of the 2nd strip is one square beneath the first one. Do this for 5 times again and again till the sixth time, then put the 6th strip parallel, seventh one above the sixth square. Now put more strips counting till number ten in ascending order.
The row are staked like this starting from 1 to 5 in decreasing order, 5 and 6 parallel & 7 to 10 in increasing order. When stacked together it gives you a wave. Repeat this process as many times as you like to.
7. then stitch the strips in order. that makes your piecing. then apply batting and thereafter the fabric back pack . quilting over the quilt is to be done , around each squareso that the layers are in place after every layer is proper. Then cut the improper borders and apply the binding cleanly around the fabric.
Thats it! you are done.Beginner Quilting - Learn the Art of Bargello Quilt